Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 17-Bittersweet

Today I woke up on my own accord before Cade at 6:30.  Why, I don't quite know, but I did it.  I stumbled up stairs for coffee and breakfast burritos and enjoyed eating a meal with out a 2 year old climbing up and down, up and down, up and down and eating most of my food even though he hasn't eaten all of his.  Enjoy it because they grow up fast...right???

I did one last load of laundry and stared packing.  That was all a whole lot easier before I had 5 little sets of feet under me and 5 little sets of hands undoing everything that was just done.  Thank goodness for Aunt Nancy and Uncle David.  They took all of the kids for one last walk to the beach.  Of course Cade would lot leave with out his blanket, so it came back full of lots of little treasurers and smelling oh so fresh.  In the mean time the other 4 adults scurried around and got both Pilots loaded to the gills.  We gave big hugs and kisses and said our good-byes by 9:30.  It all ended all too soon, but if it would have lasted 100 years it still would have ended too soon.  That's just how it goes when you are having a good time and have to leave those you love.
On the flip side we were on our way to New Orleans!!!  Home of Alli and the Super Bowl Champs!  We were driving along, following Garmin's directions, talking, reaching back to pick up this thing or that when all of a sudden..."Oh, this is a toll road!"  We had $1 and some change, but had no idea how much the toll would be.  Jon made a quick U-turn and thankfully we were right across the street from a Wal-Mart.  I ran in got some index cards (first thing I saw besides a big box fan), and 5 minutes later we had $40 cash and were back in business.  I guess this is why our parents always got after us for traveling without cash :)  By 10:45 I started hearing "I'm really crazing a Big Slam," "I'm hungry," "I need to go potty," so we stopped as a gas station, got in, got out and handed out BBQ pork sandwiches and other goodies made by the Hyatt family for our traveling and dining pleasure.  The kids soon feel asleep watching Because of Winn Dixie and Jon and I listened to some of our book on tape in peace and quite.  We hit a little traffic because of an accident, but all else was uneventful.  

We pulled in to New Orleans a little after 2:00 and were super excited to be getting to Jaimie and Jeremy's, but saddened by seeing so many houses right away that have seen destruction and never been fixed.  We pulled into the Clodfelter's house at 2:30ish to a very happy mama running out to greet her little girl.  Smiles were everywhere!  The kids came in the house and quickly got to work making the house their own.  Toys were strung along to every corner and role playing was the activity of the night.  Cade really took to the toy kitchen set and  because a little chef.  Unfortunately our little BamBam is a little hard on toys and he quickly broke off a door to the kitchen.  About 1 hour later, another door.  I guess we will be purchasing a toy kitchen while we are out here, but we decided to just wait until the end of our time here.  Who knows what else will be on the list by that time.
Jaimie made meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner, out good eating just continues!!!  Some bath time, more playing and then it was bed time for everyone.

On another note:
-Congratulations to Jovina and Ivan on your wedding day.  We are very sad that we couldn't make it, but were thinking of you.  Much love to you both!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment